In the Garden
Written by: Baker, David Posted on: 05/23/2004
Category: Sermon Outlines
TEXT: John 20:1-16
A. THERE IS NO QUESTION OF THE BEAUTY OF THIS SONG – EMOTIONAL.
B. WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT, IS IT SCRIPTURAL? In answer to a request.
Written in 1912 by C. Austin Miles.
For information on the writing of this hymn, contact me and I will send it along.
I. I COME TO THE GARDEN.
I come to the garden alone, While the dew is still on the roses;
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear, The Son of God discloses.
A. MAN IS BORN FOR TROUBLE (Job 14:1).
1. The complaint of Jacob (Gen. 47:8-9).
2. Man is born to sorrow (Gen. 3:17-19).
3. Death is the master of the wise and the foolish (Eccl 2:15-17).
B. THE GARDEN IS A PLACE OF SORROW AND SEEKING.
1. Mary came early to mourn the death of Jesus. Instead, she found Jesus alive.
2. We come in our sorrow, but we find Jesus to comfort us.
a. He frees us from the anxieties that destroy so many (Matt. 6:19-21, 33).
b. We are comforted in his promise to deliver (2 Thess. 2:16-17).
c. Jesus knows our every care (Matt. 10:29-31; Psa 56).
d. Victory in Jesus (1 John 4:4).
e. What does coming to the garden involve? (1 Pet. 5:6-7; Phil. 4:4-7).
C. WHEN IS DEW ON THE ROSES? EARLY! THE EARLIER YOU COME …
II. THE SOUND OF HIS VOICE.
He speaks, and the sound of His voice Is so sweet, The birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me, Within my heart is ringing.
A. THE POWER OF JESUS’ VOICE.
1. Filled with purpose and reason (John 7:46).
2. Filled with might (Matt. 8:23-27).
3. Filled with authority (Matt. 7:28-29).
4. Filled with passion (Matt. 23:37)
5. And compassion and love (John 8:11 Matt. 11:28-30).
B. IT IS THE VOICE OF GOD.
1. Jesus is God’s spokesman today (Heb. 1:1-2).
2. What Jesus says comes from the Father (John 12:49).
3. His word is in the NT (John 16:13-14; Luke 10:16).
4. The New Testament is God’s word (1 Thess. 2:13).
C. THE MELODY OF HIS WORDS REMAINS (Psa. 1:1-3; 119:97).
D. ONE DAY JESUS WILL SPEAK AGAIN (John 5:28-29).
III. I’D STAY IN THE GARDEN WITH HIM.
I'd stay in the garden with Him, Though the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; Through the voice of woe, His voice to me is calling.
A. OUR DESIRE IS TO REMAIN IN MEDITATION AND PRAYER.
1. There is no greater blessing than fellowship with Jesus (John 8:12).
2. In Christ there is mercy and forgiveness (1 John 1:7).
3. And the protection of God (Deut. 31:6; 2 Tim. 1:12).
B. BUT HE BIDS ME GO – THERE IS WORK FOR US TO DO.
1. Created in Christ Jesus for good works (Eph. 2:10).
2. The Lord needs us to “bear fruit” (John 15:8; Titus 3:14).
3. He is in us working his will (Phil. 2:13; 4:9).
And He walks with me, And He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.
A. JESUS WALKS WITH HIS CHILD TO WATCH OVER HIM (Phil. 4:5).
B. HIS MESSAGE IN THE BIBLE IS HOW HE SPEAKS TO US (1 Thess. 2:13).
C. HE CLAIMS US (Rom. 8:16; Heb. 2:11).
D. IN CHRIST IS OUR GREATEST JOY (Phil. 4:4-7).
Are you in Christ?
Doc viewed 39388 times.
This articles keywords/phrases are:
The articles in the list below have 1 or more of the same keywords or phrases as the article you are viewing.
If you wish to hone in on a single keyword, click on that keyword and you will see a list
of articles that match just that keyword.